Sunday, March 15, 2015

We Are in Rome

Well, we are in Rome folks.
Survived the flight relatively unscathed, Wpg-Toronto-London (England that is) -Rome. Took the train fromRome's airport (can't think of the name), bus and shanks pony to our hotel - that was an adventure. In awake/semi awake time that's a shade under 23 hours - makes the Swamp Donkey adventure race pale by comparison. Arrived at our hotel feeling somewhat sleep deprived, but none the worse for the wear. Managed to go out and wander around the 'hood' that evening before crashing for the night.

My Travel Agent/IT person - can't mention her name but her initials begin with Margaret Stimson, has found possibly the coolest hotel I have ever been in in my life. It's called the Albergo del Senato and its so homey I could spend a month here. But, what's so totally amazing is it is immediately across from the Pantheon (I could hit it with a stone-no exaggeration). This is the OLDEST FUNCTIONING BUILDING - IN THE WORLD - built AD 608!- that's in excess of 14 centuries by my math - you can feel its presence - and that ladies and gentlemen is right outside our window WOW! That same window looks down on the Piazza in front of the Pantheon. It's full of people, outside cafes, and we are currently being seranaded by a man and a woman (buskers) singing opera. Now normally I would describe that as death by music, but as it flows through our window on this beautiful Roman evening I can only describe it as, well - fabulous.

Walked a ton today. Easy to get lost without a good map and staying on top of where you are. Streets are short and change names with unnerving frequency - but once you get the hang of it, very walkable. Started out with a rough plan this am but kept getting pulled off course by interesting buildings and piazzas - we went with the flow, as they say, and allowed the city to beckon us. Can't begin to list all the fascinating off the beaten path places we found. Thoroughly enjoyable - no amazing. As was the FOOD - Mamma Mia don't get me started!

Rubbed shoulders with a bunch of stinky tourists and pick pockets at the Fontana de Trevi and Piazza di Spagna - gawd  my nose is in the air already!
Interesting to see the Spanish Steps at night - not the tourists. Navigated home in the dark, stopped for dinner - don't get me started on the food- gelato for desert - sigh. I've noticed there are a lot of Italian restaurants in this town.


The same IT person I mentioned earlier has set up an audience with the Pope for me later this week. Should be interesting - I have some tough questions for him. Well I guess there goes the personal tour of the Sistene Chapel and access to the Vatican Archives. Signed Dan Brown



Bueno Serra,

Margaret & Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment